Going on vacation is supposed to be a relaxing experience, but that doesn’t mean that you can (or should) neglect your exercise regime. Besides, if you are bringing the kids along then you might need to take a quick vacation from your vacation, and what better way to relax than with a quick workout, or yoga session!
3 Exercises you can do in a hotel room
Burn off your overindulgence and work on your muscles with this basic workout that can be completed in a hotel room:
1) Pushups: Lower your body down toward the ground, keep your back flat, and your elbows tucked in. To focus on your chest do wider pushups, to hit your triceps go narrow. For a more difficult workout elevate your feet on a chair or bed, or go onehanded if you can manage it.
2) Plank: Go into the pushup position, bend your elbows and support yourself on your forearms. Keep your body flat, and flex your abs and your glutes. Hold the position for as long as you can. Plank works your abs and back. Try side plank or other variations to target your workout.
3) Squats: Brace your abs and stand with your legs about shoulder width apart in the squat position. Lower yourself down and back up, keeping your back flat.
These three exercises will cover most of your body, and are a great way to keep in shape, even without any resources. Pushups work your chest, shoulders, and triceps. Plank engages your abs, back, and glutes. Squats use your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors.
Pilates without equipment
The benefits of Pilates are well established –greater balance, flexibility, and control – for a relaxing and rejuvenating vacation start your day with Pilates:
1) Breast stroke prep: Lay flat on your stomach and lift your head while flexing your core. Remember to time your breathing. Inhale as you lift your head and exhale as you relax.
2) Rear leg raises: Go into the plank position as described above, but instead of keeping your legs straight, support yourself on your knees which should be directly under your hips. Flex your core, inhale and extend your leg backwards in a ‘kick’ motion. Exhale and bring your knee back to position. Switch legs after ten reps.
3) Shoulder bridge: Roll onto your back, bend your knees, and place your feet flat on the floor. Concentrate on using your core muscles while you inhale and lift your pelvis up. Continue to lift your pelvis until only your shoulders are on the floor. Hold the position, exhale, and slowly lower yourself down.
Yoga is perfect for staying active on vacation. It doesn’t take up too much time or space and can be as intense or relaxing as you like. There are almost too many different combinations of poses and routines to count. So before leaving on vacation why not build your own routine? Pick your top five yoga poses to stay in shape, or just to stay centered in the middle of hectic vacation!