Do you want your kids to have…
· Improved fitness
· Improved concentration
· Better academic scores
· Stronger bones and heart
· Improved self-esteem
· Better posture and balance
· Lower stress
These are the major benefits that children will experience if we make sure they are participating in one hour of physical activity every day.
According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, childhood obesity has risen dramatically since 1980. Along with looking at children’s diets, we must look at the alarming number of children who are not getting enough exercise. Physical activity plays an important role in health, well-being and quality of life of all Canadians. Habits formed early can last a lifetime.
Here are some ideas that I have implemented with my little ones that I have found help to keep them active…
1. Setting up obstacle courses in the backyard. In the summer months, be sure to include a sprinkler or water soaker station to keep it fun and exciting
2. Incorporate a dance party after dinner. Let them pick the music!
3. Ask them to help with walking the dog
4. Chores - Have them help pick weeds, rake leaves, carry groceries, etc.
5. Encourage walking or biking to the park instead of a stroller or driving
Remember that kids need to be encouraged to be active. By introducing your children to physical activity early in life you will be setting them up for a healthier, happier life!
B.Kin, B.Ed., Clinic and Studio Manager, and STOTT PILATES® Instructor